The pumpkin spice life has really grown on me and I can’t seem to get enough of the warm fuzzy fall feels. A week ago I made some pup-kin spice ice coobs, which I never got around to eating in the end… they were tucked away in the freezer – who knew! BUT they were super yummy, so I am gutted I didn’t hoover them down.
So, since I had a pumpkin spice mix ready to go and I was NOT prepared to let it go to waste what was a doggo meant to do? Did I hear you say make donuts, Biscuit? THAT’S RIGHT!
Pumpkin spiced donuts topped with Greek yogurt and a sprinkle of cinnamon – hang on – let me just clean my dribble up (how embarrassing).
This is the first of MANY fall inspired recipes, and what better way than to kick it off with donuts flavoured with what seems to be a super popular drink over in America – Pumpkin spice!
I thought I’d give us European pups a taste of the American cuisine!
Oh, I promise these donuts are super easy to make, give them a go and I hope your pups enjoy them as much as I did!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Total cooking time: 35 minutes
Yields 6 dog-nuts
For the donuts
1 cup (80g) rolled oats
1 cup (140g) whole-wheat flour
½ cup (130g) pumpkin puree
1 large egg
½ cup (125ml) oat milk
¼ tsp cinnamon (plus extra for decoration)
¼ tsp ground ginger
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp organic honey
For the topping
4 tbsp Greek yogurt
1 tbsp organic honey
1. Pre-heat oven to 180°C (356°F). Prepare a sheet of parchment paper by drawing large circles with a pencil using a mug (be sure to leave 1-2cm space between each circle). Then, grab an icing tip (or an object small enough to create a smaller circle than the larger one) and draw inside the large circles. You should now have donut guides! Once done, line a baking tray with the prepared parchment paper. Alternatively, if you’re lucky enough to have a donut pan, feel free to use instead!
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, oat milk, pumpkin puree and honey.
3. Then, add in the oats, flour, ground ginger, cinnamon and baking powder and mix together until combined well.
4. Fill a piping bag (2.5cm wide icing tip) with the donut mixture and pipe onto the donut shape guides on the parchment paper.
5. Bake donuts at 180°C (356°F) for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Cool on a wiring rack completely. While the donuts are cooling, mix together the Greek yogurt and honey in a bowl until you have a smooth consistency.
6. Grab a donut and dip one side into the Greek yogurt. Repeat this step until all donuts have been covered with topping. Then give the donuts a dusting of cinnamon!
7. Serve to your doggy!