It was my mum’s (my non furry one) birthday a week ago and my sister and I enjoyed time away with our pawrents 😁 It was amazing! We got to run around on the beach and make friends with other pups on holiday, we also splashed about in the pool AND my favourite part was chomping at the water from the hose while my dad played with me! I thought I’d share some photos of us having a whale of time for you. 🤩
Even though I had a fantastic time I did miss baking up yummy treats! So, last week I filmed a recipe video and today I get to show off my kitchen skills to you! Mum was there to help when I needed opposable thumbs of course!
Feel free to check out my video below – be sure to watch out my naughty sister, Bella the cat! 😤
In a nutshell, these bites were scrumptious, Peanuts even ran away with two of them while I wasn’t looking (she thinks I don’t know). I basically found a new love for sweet potato and combined it into a treat with salmon. I think all doggies can agree on how yummy salmon is!
These are a fantastic savoury treat for training, a small snack or to break up and add to kibble. Oh and let’s not forget how easy these are to make as well, with 5 ingredients it doesn’t get much simpler than that! Just combine everything together to make a dough, scoop into moulds or roll into balls and bake! The mixture is quite sticky and stuck to my paws a lot but that was okay, these treats aren’t like biscuits and are supposed to be soft and well… I got to lick it off my paws. Win win.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Total cooking time: 35 minutes
Makes approximately 50 small bites (size can vary if you want to make them bigger!)
1 large (approx. 500g or 1lb) sweet potato peeled & chopped roughly
1 cup (155g) shredded cooked salmon
2 ¾ cups (360g) whole-wheat flour
½ cup (160ml) water
2 large eggs (beaten)
1. Pre-heat oven to 190°C (375°F). Line a baking tray with parchment/baking paper. You can also use silicone moulds like I did in my video.
2. Place the sweet potato in a microwavable bowl, cover with a sheet of damp kitchen paper and microwave for 5 minutes until the chunks are fork tender.
3. Mash the sweet potato chunks with a fork or masher until smooth and set aside.
4. In a large bowl, mix together the sweet potato, eggs & water. Then fold in the shredded salmon.
5. Gradually mix in the flour until you have a sticky dough.
6. Using a teaspoon, scoop the mixture into silicone moulds. If you don’t have silicone moulds, sprinkle flour on your hands and roll into balls, use a teaspoon to get the right size for your pup. Place onto a baking tray.
7. Bake at 190°C (375°F) for 20-25 minutes and cool completely before serving to your pup.
8. Keep in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.